Monday, March 22, 2010

Oh Shit my Garmin is on the fritz.

last night I was getting my stuff ready for the AM run, and went to go get my Garmin 305 from the charging cradle, and it was....dead. It was fine on Saturday when I put it in the cradle, but it didn't even power up.

I ordered a new cradle and resigned myself to running without my little computer buddy, but man was it hard to get out of the house. When I finally did,  I kept sneaking glances down at my wrist and seeing my dinky timex in stopwatch mode.

I think I'm addicted to the constant flow of data coming off of the garmin. My pulse, the pace, the time elapsed, and the distance. All there, for insta perusal. Instead I was going by simple perceived effort. Now I know why people use headphones!

I did a 6 mile loop (measured by Garmin, of course), and ran it easy on the way out, hard on the way back. It was definitely a hard run, hilly and I averaged 8 minute miles on in, but for some reason it doesn't feel real unless the Garmin is there recording it.

I really, really hope it isn't borked, that just the charger was on the fritz. Because I don't want to plunk down another $300, and because it's got almost a years worth of data on it.

in the mean time, I'll run on known loops, and gauge my effort as best I can.

No comments: