Monday, August 30, 2010

Training Summary 8/23- 8/30 2010

This is the week after my first oly and before my first duathlon, which is the last multisport race of the year for me (unless inspiration strikes). I'm writing this mid-week. After not doing squat Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday :) I made the mistake of reading the last Harry Potter book Monday night, and that killed me for Tuesday. And I slept in on Wednesday, skipped the swim, and did a short, brutal TRX leg workout. At least it's a known fact that sleep is essential to recovery, I can (sort of) feel good about that.

Wednesday:

TRX / weights
2x split lunges, 15 reps, both legs
2x single leg squats, 10 reps
2x good mornings, 10 reps
2x dumbell squats, 20 reps
2x plyometric push-offs from straddle, 10 reps, no weights
1x core rotation, 20 reps

Thursday:

Swim
did the now standard 25-250 in 25 yard increments, followed by 5x100free+50breast. Total 2125 yds.

I wasn't doing anything for time, but timed one of my 100s @ 1:42. I was more focused on starting to breathe on my left (weak) side. Since I get tired and need to breathe more, I started doing 2 breaths right side, 2 breaths left side.

I noticed that I pull to the left when breathing left side. I then tried to keep my right hand straight during extension. One other thing I noticed was that when I started the movement with my hips, I could still definitely feel the pull in my lats. I would contract my abs, and lats, and the movement would just come.

I think the only way I'm going to go faster is if I can apply more force with the same amount of economy -- in other words, I need to save energy and apply it at the right time. The less thrashing, the better.

Friday:

Swim
1x250 w.u. emphasis breathing.
1x250 w.u. emphasis rolling from the hips.

10x100 not for speed, emphasis stroke, breathing, efficiency.

200 warm down, stroke mechanics x25, breastroke x25

Getting better @ breathing bilaterally. Sometimes I feel like I'm weaving in the lane, I need to work on extending my leading arm out straight instead of over the centerline. Hip rotation feels better to the right, when I breathe to the left I'm still lifting my head and not rotating to the air. Lots to work on!

Saturday:

Run
6.05 mi 51:18, 8:29 avg. 2 mi warmup, then building to a hard pace.
mile 1: 10:43
mile 2: 9:30
mile 3: 7:52
mile 4: 7:48
mile 5: 7:15
mile 6: 7:45
climbed: 800 feet
descended : 1054 feet.

Wednesdays lifting made me sore until...after the run. I focused on fast turnover and 'pre-compressing' my striking leg. cadence/turnover was good, except on steep uphills/downhills, I need to work on keeping it going in both situations.


Sunday:

Run
3 mi easy. kicked back today, was tired from the hard effort yesterday, and going hard isn't going to buy me anything on Wednesday.

Monday:

Swim
super easy, concentrate on form.
4x250 form swims.
4x50 form swims.

I'm really happy with my left (weak) side breathing today. Felt really natural, the most natural so far. I'm inclined to try it in the race.

Was supposed to run tomorrow, but I tore up my big toe chasing after the dog this evening. Hope to heal it up before the race, where it will (a) get wet and (b) get slammed into a shoe. Nicked an artery, so it was bleeding like a mofo. ah well. It's always something :)

Next up: race report.

No comments: