Monday, February 14, 2011

Ha! Training Summary, Post Sayulita, 2/7 - 2/13

Jesus. I missed about 3 weeks of consistent training. Week 1 I was sick. Week 2 I was sick in Mexico. Week 3 I was sick in San Jose. Week 4, this week, I got sick of being sick, and decided to hug it out. Seems to have worked. That or the sleep. In any case, I put on a little bit of love during the last week spent in San Jose, the soulless tech capital of the world, eating crap processed food and sitting on my ass in the Strata conference.


Monday


Crazy Train leaves station. 4 (that's right, count em, 4) miles of angry waddling. First run in what felt like a decade. Heel still hurts from strange surfing wipeout. Lungs feel like those of a chain smoker. Love handles and other jiggly pieces are, well, jiggling.

Followed the run with some trx lunges and weights. Yippeee!!


Tuesday


3 mile angry waddle (I refuse to call what I'm doing, at a 9:00 pace, running. dammit.) Followed by lunges and a kettlebell workout. Hey, that kettlebell stuff (approx 30 lbs) hurts! And it gets my heart a thumpin! I'm going to make a kettlebell and buy some more weight plates.


Wednesday


Upper body day, and, yeah, my ass really hurt from that kettlebell stuff. So it must be working. I'm excited to try it tomorrow! Really, I am. Can you feel the excitement? I also did 35 atomic pushups. The last 5 sucked. The first 30 were not as sucky. I did some other strange core stuff, like
  1. the leaning tower of Pisa,
  2. the strange leg swing thing from pushup position
  3. the sit-down and drive back up with the hips
  4. and more! 
Finally, I did some pullups (like 12), and then immediately followed with single arm rows. So I felt pretty buff, even if my tummy has gotten slightly more rotund than usual in the last couple of weeks.


Thursday

TRX and Kettlebell:

3x 15 single leg split squat plyos
2x 10 single leg front squats
3x 25 kettlebell swings

My pseudo kettlebell -- a dumbell with one plate as a handle is getting slightly dangerous. So it's time to build one. But I'm still getting completely cleaned by these swings. Jesus they're hard. Esp. when followed by split squats.


Friday


3 mile run --new route, up W Mercer Hill and back on trails via headlamp -- so romantic! --  followed by upper body TRX.  The 3 mile route was slow, due to the constant uphills, but fun, due to the trail. I think it's a good warmup for weight session, it gets me slightly sweaty.

TRX:
1x35 atomic pushups
2x10 supermans
1x15 chest flys
2x10 single arm presses
1x15 pullups (forearm still sore, need to lay off the axe handle pullups for a bit)
1x15 single arm rows.


Saturday

6.75 mile base pace run up and over the hill by the swimming pool. My heel is hurting, courtesy of a strange, inconsequential wipeout in Sayulita. It hurts until about mile 2, and really feels stiff in the morning. After I run, however, it feels fine. weird.

avg pace was around 9 minutes. I'm running hella slow right now, which is why I need to get back to basics. My HR is also a lot higher. where I was averaging 134 for a 9 minute mile, I'm now up to 148 or so. Yikes. This is what happens when you dont run for a month and you're 41.


Sunday

Snowboarding w/Leela. The first couple of hours were her lesson, so I rode around a little bit. Snow was much better than it has been lately, which was enjoyable! I finally got a park pass, proceeded to get into the park, and lame-style a couple of jumps. But that I mean approach the lip too slow and barely get any air at all. Jumping, for me, is an exercise in comfort, and I'm going to need to get a lot more comfortable in order to do it well. Not sure if I have that kind of time -- should have done this a _lot_ earlier in the season :) Oh well, there is always next year!

Leela had a bit of a breakthrough on skis today, after class. I had to talk her into going, she really didn't feel good. But after the first couple of runs, when we worked on turning instead of doing pizza all the way down, she really started to like it, and we got in 6-7 more runs!! I love it when the kids have moments like this -- the trick now is to not push them too hard, just let them figure it out at their own pace. They're like their dad, kind of cautious by nature. Sometimes that means you need to push it, but sometimes that means you need to get into it slowly. I'll push myself, and let them get into it slowly.

No comments: