Monday, February 21, 2011

Training Summary 2/14 - 2/21

Monday

Second week back in the saddle. I sit here and type this instead of actually getting outside because it's raining, blowing, and dark, and I've got a slight sore throat. Yes, I'm a fucking wimp :) I'm going to opt for the indoor routine today, trying out the new kettlebell for swings and get-ups, then finishing up on the TRX, blasting the legs and the core.

1x 5 reps KB getups, 25 lbs. Much harder for the left side than the right. Hmmm.
3x 25 reps KB swings, 35 lbs. Breathing very hard by the end of 25 of these!
3x15 single leg split squats, last 2 sets were plyo. Also gasping for great @ end of these.

Had to bail, sick kids and running late. Tomorrow I'll do upper body and core.

Tuesday

Upper body session, quite a good one. Managed to get completely pumped
Atomic Pushups
1x15 pullups
1x15 single arm talon rows
1x15 single arm tricep extensions
1x20 suspended leg swings
2x15 supermans

Wednesday

3 miles running, followed by kettlebell hell, same as last time. Kettlebell swings getting easier. Maybe my form is getting fucked?

Thursday

Beat. Rest Day

Friday

4 miles run, I'm tired of running slow so I didnt chug up the final set of hills. Worked on really feeling the push off in my core and glutes, and keeping turnover high.

the usual kettlebell/single leg split squats, skipping the kb getup. Was fairly spanked afterward.

Saturday

GPS was out of juice, so I took Shadow out for 6 miles. We kept the pace 'high', i.e. 7:45 - 8:30 on the hills. I was definitely feeling it towards the end. Muscle fatigue was setting in. Still, I do feel a lot more solid and stronger in my core and glutes, and running is starting to feel like floating instead of slogging.

Sunday

Today my back felt...whacked. Not sure if it's the kettlebells, or the hard runs, or sitting funny, or all of the above, but it definitely wasn't groovy. So I thought I'd go out for a little spin. The ride (2 laps, MI, 1:39, SLOW) felt fine, first time out on the new tribar setup, position was essentially unchanged from the previous drop bar setup. at about mile 20 I broke a spoke. I'd say it was the SHEER POWER of my legs, but spoke age and overtensioning might have more to do with it.

Later in the day I felt like a cripple. My lower back was spasming, so I tried to stretch it a little bit (NOTE TO SELF: DONT DO THAT AGAIN) and my upper back spasmed. Fuck, I'm old. My knees also hurt and all in all I was hobbled quite massively.

Monday

Ibuprofen and rest helped me get over being old somewhat. Spent the day boarding with the kids. Right now that means boarding with Leela on green runs. Boring..except it's my little girl and she's rockin the skis right now. And, I'm getting the hand of riding backwards on a directional board. The trick is to not panic and just let the turn....happen. That's right. Just let it happen, don't force it, get in the backseat and let the bitch ride. I actually started laying down some nice carves that way -- switchpants carves, who knew I had it??!? Now I just need to get my jumping mojo back from 10+ years ago, and I'll have come full circle.

No comments: