Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Training Summary 10/18-10/24

Well, it's been a couple of weeks since the Layoff, and my days are dominated by preparing for or participating in phone screens and onsite interviews. Last week consisted of a bunch of scrambling around, interspersed with some good swims and bikes. My mom visited over the weekend, which was great, but not for training. It's _really_ hard to justify sneaking out for a run when (a) mom gets up at 5AM and (b) she's only around for 3 days. But she's worth it!

I've sort of been back on the bandwagon this week, I'll elaborate below:

Monday

Swimming
200 w.u., 4x200 set. 1000 total.
Had to drop Mom off, so got into the pool around the same time the Diving class was going on. So lanes were crowded. Only had 45 minutes. Still, good to be back in the pool.


Tuesday

1 lap M.I., full tilt. 20.2 mph on the main loop, 18.5 mph avg total.

A quick lap done late in the afternoon after a two phone screen day.

The lap was done to burn off some accumulated energy, and worked quite well for that. It was 4:30 when I left, and the sun is setting around 6, so I cut it short b/c I didn't want to end up a hood ornament on some Mercer Island Soccer Mom's SUV. I flew pretty good (and felt the legs) for the first 10 miles, then mailed it in the last 3. Wanted to save something for tomorrows speedwork.

Wednesday

Running: 1 mile warmup, 8x400 @ 3k pace (7 minute miles) w/3 minute active rest, 1/2 mile warmdown. 4.5 mi total.

I had an early morning onsite interview, so I went out in the dark, drove to the track, and ran in the murk. With a surprising number of other fools people.

Turns out its hard for me to keep this pace for 1/4 mile. Hard as in I kept going out at 6:15 - 6:28 miles. That isn't the point -- the point is to train my brain to run at 3k pace, so I slowed way the f*ck down and did just that for the last 4 quarters. I'm pretty sure this program I'm on will have me running 'puke pace' quarters once the formalities have been dispensed with.

Thursday

All day interviews. Wheee!

Friday

Swimming: 1000 yards
2x200 warmup, 4x200 sets. 
Hey! its getting easier to swim 200 yards, bilaterally breathing the whole time! Frickin miracle, considering I started out only being able to swim 25 yards, breathing on my right side. 

Quick aside: I'm not sure if it's the chlorine or what, but I'm coming out of these swimming practices stoned to the gills -- in a good way! By that I mean I am completely relaxed, in a zone, and mellow. And I have a serious case of the munchies. Without having to smoke a bowl! This is good :)

Saturday

Running: 6 miles, 12x30x30 sprints.
This is the first time I've tried 30x30s. I was holding my 5k pace, right now that's between 7 and 7.5 minute miles. Pretty easy to keep that pace over the interval range, although my pulse went high and stayed high. I think I'm getting sick. Yesterdays interview was 4 hours long, in an unheated room, but they couldn't break me! 

Sunday

Definitely catching something. Needed the day off to chill out. Lifted weights, focused mainly on legs, i.e. single leg lunge squats
double leg dumbell squats
single leg forward squats
single leg reach behind squats
atomic pushup (1 set, 30 reps)
2 sets of 10 pullups. 

No comments: