Sunday, October 3, 2010

Training Summary 9/27 - 10/3

Trying to get back on track after last week's detour.

Monday:

50-300 by 50s up, and down, for a total of 2100 yards. Bilateral breathing is almost second nature. I'm noticing that arm fatigue is a factor until I focus more on pulling with my core by engaging my stomach muscles and maintaining tension through my lats. Also, I've got to keep focused on keeping my head low. It's simply too fatiguing after a while, and I start thrashing. The other thing I really need to pay attention to is not crossing the centerline with my arms. And finally, pulling back instead of down during the first 1/3 of the arm stroke. Lots to pay attention to!

Tuesday:

was supposed to do a six mile base run with drills, but bailed b/c rain and general tiredness.

Wednesday:

8x30 second relaxed sprints uphill. after a 2 mile warmup. 4.5 miles total.
total miles ~ 4.5
hr/split data messed up b/c my workout kept resetting.

I warmed up the 2+ miles, and decided that out of the two hills, the less steep one was a better choice. It started out gradual and ended with a little kick up. Still, this was a brutal workout that had me seeing stars at the end. Here's how it went:
Sprints 1 and 2, relaxed speed: "OK, this feels good. Maybe I can even go harder"
Sprints 3 and 4, less relaxed, roughly same speed: "This is about as hard as I can go right now."
Sprints 5 and 6, visibly less relaxed, slightly slower speed: "I think I'm feeling a little bit queasy. And 30 seconds is a f*cking long time!"
Sprints 7 and 8, not relaxed, roughly same speed, because any slower would technically be a jog: "I want to puke. Now. Or Cry."

In any case, I can claim the moral victory after gutting through all 8 hill sprints. The hill (I was looking at it from the car while taking Kiran back from soccer practice) actually has a decent grade. It doesn't compare to the hill at Ft Mason from the bay side in San Francisco, but it is gentle enough for me to get some speed, and steep enough at the end so I really have to work to keep that speed.

Thursday:

swimming, short on time, so 50-250 up and down by 50. Endurance is good for me. Here is the thing. I'm noticing that my pull is getting more efficient, i.e. I am pulling back instead of down. It feels good. I can comfortably move for ~ 150 yards, so swimming 200 right now is where I start to notice form breakdown. This is a huge step up from only being able to swim 25 comfortably. I'm going to keep on with the long (for me) intervals, and not focus on the speed. Bilateral breathing well through 150, starts to get hard around 200. I want to push all the way to 500 (big dreams!)

Friday:

Running, Fartlek, 8x30 second sprints @ 1 mile pace.
total dist 6.03 mi
total time 52:47
avg pace 8:45/mi
avg HR 139
1220 feet climbed, 1449 feet descended.

30 second intervals: hard to keep it slow enough for 1 mile pace @ only 30 sec. Also, at mile 5, realized I was supposed to be back at 7AM, and it was 7AM, so I had to pick up the pace from 'base' to 'get my ass home'. So the last couple miles were in the low to mid 7s, with 30 second sprints thrown in on the last riser before the big downhill, and the final nasty uphill finish.

Saturday:

recovery pace run + trx weights.
total dist 3.21 mi
total time 33:11
avg pace 10:21/mi.
avg HR 124
498 feet climbed,538 ft descended

This time I grabbed 2x10lb dumbells for the second set of split squats, and reduced the reps to 10. That made it hurt :)

Sunday:

7.94 mi base pace run
avg pace 9:15 mi
avg HR 138
1026 feet climbed
1183 feet descended

Started out, lt knee felt a little sore, and legs tired. first mile split was 10:21, ugh. Felt better after that, kept pace at 9:38 in the hilly section of the climb. Breathing and pacing felt good. I tried to keep it at 'marathon' pace, 8:15, on a flat section, and that felt pretty hard, not sure how I would do that for 26.2 mi! I'm going to have to trust the pacing tables on this and hope that I get more comfortable at 8:15.

Summary

approx 21 mi, 4 hrs.
Left knee feels 'tired' more than painful. I think I need to loosen up the left IT, do some leg extensions with the bungee cords, and take tomorrow off :)

No comments: