Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Training Summary 9/20-26

This week started off slowly, my cold came back after the long + hard run on Sunday. So I skipped Monday. And then realized I had a 7AM dentist appt on Wednesday. So I decided that I'm going to 'redo' the training week next week, and swim Tues, Thurs, run Fri, Sun.

Monday

took the day off. Felt really stale and congested.

Tuesday

250 warmup, 10x100 yds form/easy ~1:50, 250 warmdown

I noticed today that at the start of my stroke, I'm pulling straight down, instead of pulling my hand towards me until it is even w/my elbow. This has got to be costing me some speed. I'm going to focus on fixing this on Thursday. I'll use a pull buoy and isolate the stroke, then blend it back in with the legs.

Wednesday

TRX, standard leg set, 2x10 pullups.
the dentist was fun! Not!

Thursday

swimming: didn't keep track of yards, just swam some 50s and 100s working on keeping my elbow high. My stroke evolved from dropping the hand and keeping the elbow high and feeling almost no pull, to pushing down a little bit before dropping the hand, and feeling a decent amount of pull, and noticing that my speed was better with that approach.

I was pulling straight down for far too long before. But the immediate bend of the elbow was compensating too much in the other direction. I'm going to concentrate on this some more, it really is a 'feel' thing, and maybe putting on fistgloves would help isolate exactly how much I can involve the rest of my arm in the pull.

I did notice that it is impossible to swim with pull buoys. Those things made my legs way too floaty, and I got tired trying to keep the thing between my legs. And, it was hard to rotate with them. So I'm done with them for now.

I think I need to start building up more distance, swimming a progression of 50 yards, like a 50-100-150-200-250-300 and back down. Then increase the progression a little more, until I'm swimming a 500 straight. That will really help build endurance while keeping stroke mechanics, which is exactly what I need.

Friday

Still feeling blah. When I don't spring out of bed, I call it a day. Especially now, in the off season.

Saturday

weights: 2x all single leg squats (split, single leg in front, single leg tucked behind)
2x 10 pullups
1x 30 atomic pushups

Sunday

running: 6.82 mi, 59:59:44, 8:48/mi average 1113 ft elevation gain, 1250 feet elevation loss

Fairly hilly run, same route as last Sundays w/o the flat mile at the start. I went out thinking I was going to do a base pace run, but felt pretty strong and hadn't been out in a while, so I picked it up in the hilly section, averaging 9:18 over the climb, then 8:19, 7:30, 7:35 for the last couple of miles of rolling, slightly downhill section. A decent run considering that I havent' run in a week.

Running mi: 6.82
Weights: 2x
swimming: ~ 2000 yds

An easy week, but that's fine since I was kind of sick.

No comments: