Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cleanup Time forced by a Hard Drive crash

My external hard drive failed today, or at least I found out about it today. This hard drive contained all of the photos that we have ever taken of the kids, so having it not boot up was a major bummer. Fortunately I was able to borrow Jags old computer, rip the IDE out of the external HD harness, and boot it up as an internal drive. Windoze didn't even complain! I bought 20GB worth of photo storage from Google for $5/year, and I'm uploading everything I've got to that central location.

Of course Lopa is disturbed and confused because there isn't an ISO 9000 plan of execution on how we are storing, organizing, and accessing the photographs. Either that or she didn't get any input into the solution -- it's a control thing for sure :)

But I seriously should have done this a while back, and regulated access to it. Right now I've got three different copies of picasa with three different sets of pictures, and those sets have some overlap.

The other bummer is that I've got to give her full access to the photo stuff so that she can edit. Which means she's got full access to my email, blogs, etc. Oh well, I guess it's good I don't have a secret girlfriend or that I'm not in the CIA.

But this whole incident got me thinking about the state of my personal electronic Idaho. It's pretty bad, with 10s of thousands of emails in my inbox, photos all over the place, half baked documents, etc. I started to feel overwhelmed by the whole thing, and then had a brilliant idea. What if I just deleted all of my old emails, mod the last 50 or so that I care about. I did just that, moving the ones I care about into 'keepers', and nuking the rest. While I've never been a huge fan of 'inbox management', it makes sense for personal use, because I don't have to keep those emails around as an electronic trail like I do at work. And I really hate the amount of clutter overwhelming my inbox.

From now on I'm going to delete 90% of incoming mail, and keep the last 10% well organized. Or so I believe at this point :)

No comments: