Sunday, September 19, 2010

Training Summary 9/13 - 9/19

Still in the Base phase of either a 5k or 10k race plan. This involves running relatively short distances (~5-6 mi), mixing up some hill sprints, and lifting weights 2x/week. I'm also mixing in swimming, because I'm just getting to a place where my form is decent and don't want to lose that feeling of 'speed' (and that, as is everything, is relative) in the water.

I'm in San Fran this week till Friday, so I'm going to try and get in 3 runs while I'm here. Actually I was supposed to leave 20 minutes ago, but I'm still trapped on the toilet. Ah, well. 5 miles wont take too long.

I forgot my Garmin at home. Damn. So I'm going to estimate my mileage based on perceived pace, i.e. 9:30 mile pace x 5 means around 5 miles in around 48 minutes. Wednesday calls for hill sprints, and I always do a good 7 mile run from the Financial District out to Crissy Field, so I'll mix up the hill sprints on the way.

Monday

Swim:
~1500 yards
started with a 25-250 progression (by 25 yards), but (a) there was some guy taking swim lessons in my lane who had some navigation issues (couldn't swim straight) and (b) I head on-ed with a lady who decided that we were swimming circles, so (c) this threw me off a little bit, to the point where I realized my form was deteriorating. So around 200 yards I stopped, moved to a lane that had just opened up, and did a 25-100 progression, followed by a couple of 50s where I realized that I hadn't been rolling fully side to side for most of the swim. I got that back, made sure it felt good, and called it a day.

Between sets it was really instructive to look at the Mercer Island girls swim team. I saw plenty of stick armed adolescent girls move through the water like they had a propeller bolted on their feet. Once again, form > strength.


Tuesday

5 mile base pace run. Approximated this w/45 min out and back from my hotel, the overly ornate Westin St Francis. Running without the GPS is different, different in that I'm always running faster than I should be. The only reason I know this is remembering effort with the GPS and comparing it to today.

The Westin is about a mile up from where I usually start. This has created the following conundrum: do I run all the way to the entrance of the Presidio, or do I keep it somewhat shorter and just run the Fort Mason hill as sprints? I'm leaning that way, because it will probably be 7 - 8 miles round trip with the extra 2 miles built in.

Of course, I'm writing this while still at work. Arrgh. It's always super hard core when I get down to San Fran. Almost 8 and the office is still half full! Still no dinner yet, either.

Wednesday

6-7 miles, with 6 hill sprints up Ft Mason hill.
I took it easy on the way out, running 8:30-9:30 miles. It felt good, and I had to restrain myself a little. I'm still getting used to the concept of 'base' pace.

The sprints were, in a word or more, fucking brutal. The first two were fine, the next two sucked, and the last two I was distracted from sprinting because I was trying not to puke. Hill sprints are hard. 30 seconds is a long time.

On the way back, I ran like a wounded, tired hippo. I think someone on crutches could have passed me for the first mile. I slowly started to get back into a more reasonable (quicker) pace toward the end. This was a hard, hard run, which is strange, considering that only 3 minutes of it were actually 'hard'.

At work today I felt the beginning of a chest cold. Crud in the lungs for sure. Not sure if I'm going to run tomorrow, or just skip it and do pilates/calisthenics inside.

Thursday

Rest. Still not feeling 100 percent, more like 70. This whole travel thing is hard to do while staying healthy. Anyways, I needed to roll out a little early b/c I was checking out of the hotel, so I skipped any kind of workout and relaxed. Worked all day and got on the plane at 5:40. Was riding Main Cabin Select, which means free Drink and Food, so I had some mini bottles and some snacks and watched "KickAss". Depending on the weather, I'll either run or swim tomorrow.

Friday

ran 4.93 miles @ base pace. The route was hilly, so the pace suffered a little bit. But considering how I felt, I was happy to get the miles in. Definitely did not feel up to fartlek. Mile 3, where I climbed 400 feet, was the slowest at 10:13. I wasn't killing myself to get up it fast, I just wanted to get some miles in.

Saturday

TRX.
did the usual, w/o the dumbell squats:
2x15 single leg split squats
2x15 single leg front squats
2x15 single leg tuck behind squats
2x10 dead lifts
2x10 pullups

Still feeling a little sick, so the resistance exercises were the only exercise I really got.

Sunday

Run
7.82 miles @base pace ~9:30/mile with 6 30 second 'relaxed sprints' thrown in.
1:14 total.
1433 ft altitude.

Felt good for the first time since Tuesday, I think the slight cold is behind me. Sprints were 'relaxed', I think the fastest I went was a 4:17/mi, and the slowest was 7:00/mi up a steep hill. Route was fairly hilly, which was why the pace was relatively slow.

Total: ~24 miles Run, 1500 yds swim, 1 TRX session

No comments: