Monday, September 13, 2010

Training Summary 9/6 - 9/12

Using the new Target Pace Level approach, I'm running primarily at my TPL based on my 1 mile time of ~6:40. Note that there is no mention of heart rate here. So that's quite a shift for me.
I havent decided between a 5k plan and a 10k plan, the 10k plan is (obviously) harder, but right now they're both the same mileage, so I'll make a decision at week 3.

I'll be measuring the effectiveness of pace based training via some home grown analytics software, but for now:

I have a TPL of 37, and that means the following:
Recovery Pace = 10:57 - 9:42
Base Pace = 9:43 - 8:47
Marathon Pace = 8:15
1/2 Marathon Pace = 7:57
10k Pace = 7:34
5k Pace =7:18
3k Pace = 7:04
1 Mile pace = 6:41

Monday

4 miles, 2 drills of 'hoop arm running', 2 drills of 'single leg hopping', I averaged 9:38/mi, Avg HR 141, right at the edge of base pace, but I climbed 500 feet during the run, so the hills have got to count for something!

Lower body resistance exercises.
2x 20 dumbbell squats (65 lbs total)
2x 15 single leg split squats with TRX
2x 15 single leg straight ahead squats with TRX
2x 15 single leg tuck behind squats with TRX
1X 10 inverted V core raises with TRX

My knee hurt on the run. Left knee, I think the IT band is tightening up. I did manage to get some leg extensions in, and some work on the foam roller. I'll try to hit the stick at work a little bit.

Tuesday

Big plans for a swim, but I couldn't get motivated, I think the darkness makes it hard to spring out of bed like I was a month ago. Instead I did some upper body TRX exercises.

1x30 Atomic pushups
2x20 V back extensions
2x20 swimmer pull throughs
2x10 pullups
2x10 inverted V core raises.

Wednesday

It was rainy, dark, and generally crappy, and I overslept. Still managed to stick to the plan, running 5 miles, 2.5 miles warmup, 2 30 second hill sprints, 2.3 miles warmdown. All good.

Thursday

Swim
big plans derailed by lack of ability to get my ass out of bed by 5:30AM. This is becoming a problem...anyways, here is what I did.

4x250 25-50-75-100 working on bilateral breathing and form. I'm really trying to maintain tension from my core out through my fingertips. It feels like I'm spreading the load of pulling back from my shoulders to my lats and core and forearms, which can only be good for my shoulders. Bilateral breathing is _almost_ second nature to me, it still gets hard when I get tired. I'm becoming aware that my left and right strokes are different. I tend to pull almost across the centerline with my right arm, and more conventionally with my left. Always something to work on with swimming....

Saturday

Run
5 miles at base pace, i.e. 9:50->8:40, with two 30 seconds @ 6:40 pace 'sprinkled in' (his words, not mine).

leg resistance w/TRX
2 sets x 15 single leg split squats
2 sets x 15 single leg tuck behind squats
2 sets x 15 single leg out in front squates
2 sets x 20 dumbell squats, 65 lbs.
1 set x 10 pike ups in trx.

averaged 9:15, with a 10:25 slow start, an 8:04 mile 4.
Sunday

Sun
4 miles at base, legs felt sore, but good base pace (~9:15) run.

No comments: