Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Training Summary 10/4 - 10/10

This training log is truncated because on Tuesday morning I was laid off. I'm going to write a separate post about that now, and try to get back on the training log 'train'. Here is the original text:

This week a 'recovery' block is scheduled, which is basically week 2 all over again, but I'm stronger now (in theory), so its easy, right?

My left knee is twinging, disturbingly. It doesn't hurt all of the time, in fact it doesn't really hurt. It just feels weak. I've brought out the stretch cords in an effort to hi-rep leg extension my way out of impending knee issues, I've also gone back to the stick. I'm hoping the 'a stitch in time' approach works.

Monday

Woke up the morning. Felt tired. Chilled with some coffee. Tomorrow, is another day.

Tuesday

Swimming. 50-250 progression by 50s, then back down. i.e. 50-100-150-200-250-200-150-100-50, and some warmdown laps. so ~ 1250.

I'm now breathing bilaterally most of the time. One thing I'm noticing is that I get real tired for about 100 yards and then I start to feel better. Mentally it's still tough to swim 250 yards at once, but I think that it's a really good head training exercise to shut that weak ass talk down and just focus on the stroke.

My right arm is still crossing over the centerline when I get fatigued, and my elbows still drop underwater. My head is still lifting up on my left (weak) side breathing, and I noticed that I have a tendency to not glide. But at least I'm aware of all of that, and at different points during the swim I was able to rise above those inefficiencies. I may not have been moving that fast, but I really, really feel that it's here, moving slowly, that I am building the foundation to become a solid (if not blazingly fast) swimmer.

No comments: