Monday, June 27, 2011

Training Summary 6/20 - 6/26

Kids and Lopa are in New Mexico, I'm in Burbank, doing a century this weekend (off the couch, no less).
Going to be a battle between missing them and enjoying the lack of responsibility :)

Monday

Run: 4 miles, 1300 feet elevation, 138 avg hr.
Work is cranking, and I was up all night with some wicked insomnia. So running late. Plus, I'm in beautiful F*cking Burbank. Its not too bad, though, Got in a run through the Hollywood hills, and those bitches are _steep_. Bonus deadly uphill last 1/4 mile that felt like 6.

Tuesday

Swam, 1 hr.
Not sure how much mileage was covered, I'm trying to swim sets of 200s, at least 5 or so, before going into sets of 100s and alternating with breast stroke to work out the kinks from the legs.

Wednesday

Ran, 7 miles, 8:46/mi, N end loop run. Took it out slow 1st mi, then 8:34 2nd mile, then 8:12, then hit the big hill. Still, felt reasonably strong. Total lack of speed though!

Thursday

Blech. With the big weekend coming up, I took the day off.

Friday

Swam 1 hr. Crowded @ pool. Was swimming in a circle for 1st time all year. Swimming with FGs is fun, mostly after I take them off :)

Saturday

Biking, Big Day, 91 miles, 9400 feet climbing, 6 hrs. Not sure how that happened, I think maybe because of all the little ups and downs in the road. But I went down to White Salmon to ride w/Jay, who is training for IM Canada. He, a friend of his from his hardcore tri days, and I rolled out on the Mt Adams County Tour, intending to do 105 miles. We rolled out late, at a very conversational pace, and did the first part of the ride, a 2000 foot climb, gently. Then we rolled back to Trout Lake, turned around for the 2nd leg. My wheel started making bad noises, but I didn't feel like I was slowing down, so I didn't investigate. We came back into town with 58 miles, and made the (wise!) decision to not do the next 56 mile loop, opting instead for a 32 mile out and back, up a steep first grade, with a steep descent to the town of Glenwood. By this time it was hot, and the wind was cranking. On the way back, at about 80 miles, I just....popped. Well, no big surprise, my biggest ride to date this year was 40, so popping at 80 was pretty good! I rolled in, and promptly discovered that my rear wheel was rubbing hard, because I'd cranked a spoke. Sheesh. No idea how long that had been going on, but Jay and I factored in another 10 miles bonus for that crap :) This was a great day in the saddle. The roads were butter, the views (Mt Adams) were spectacular, and the weather was perfect. All in all, this is why I ride bikes!

Sunday

Run, 3 hrs, 14 miles, off road. I honestly intended to take it easy to day. We rolled out on the back side of Hospital Hill, where I had done so many mt bike rides in my 20s. Jay was loping ahead like a big toed jackrabbit, he looked like he was moving effortlessly. I was most likely waddling along, not so effortlessly. We made it to the top of HH, then Jay wanted to show me this cool rope swing 1/2 way down the mountain on the front side. It was definitely a cool swing, you swung out over the exposed slope and it felt like you were flying! We then went to the top of the next hill, where some paragliders were launching. I've never seen that before, it looked....addictive! We were at about 8 miles at that point, and it was heating up. So, of course, we headed down the front (exposed!) side :) This was a hard descent in spots, the trail was sloped out cow path, and my road shoes were getting yanked around quite a bit. But I love trail running -- just managed to forget it since I fucked my back up in my early 20s. Still, that was doing aggro trail running, and now that I'm old, the mellow version is like hiking really fast -- you need to constantly pay attention to your footing.

On the last part I started to fade, hard. Caught a toe on a branch and cramped up trying not to fly off the hill. Then, on the final uphill, I had to walk. I was walking and my heart rate was 165. We were out of water and salt, and I was wearing most of mine on my face -- definitely need to start salting up now that the weather is heating up a bit!

This was a killer weekend. I had no expectations, but was really pleasantly surprised by my level of endurance, considering that I've been going short and hard this whole spring. I do like going long, especially off road. I think I need to start investigating trail running -- I feel so happy when I get out in the woods for a while. Forgot what that was all about since the kids came along.

No comments: