Saturday, July 23, 2011

Training Summary 7/18 - 7/23

First Tri on the 24th: Seattle Seafair Oly. Short bike, so I don't have my usual advantage. Plus, I'm feeling fat. Wait, It's more than a feeling. I AM fat. Too many beers, too much travelling. Time to start eating right. Tomorrow, that is. Today was all about beer and sliders.

7/18 Monday

swam ~ 1500 yards.
3x200 with the gloves on. Man, that's fucking painful. I need to get over the need to be fast and just slow down and enjoy these form intervals.
2x200 with no gloves. Enjoyed the dinner plate effect, also started to feel the roll from side to side, meaning I'm gliding on one side of my body, then rolling and pulling through and rotating to the other side. Swimming: so much to think about! I'm going to be working on stroke for the rest of my life -- always something new to learn!

7/19 Tuesday

Run 7.99 mi, 8:33 avg pace. Fast!ish.
9:25 mi warmup
8:14 mi pace
7:55 mi more pace
8:25 .79 mi slight uphill
12:18 .16 mile rest
9:06 mi rest of climb
7:33 300 feet not sure why I did this lap
7:51 mi downhill
7:26 .55 mi downhill to home stretch
9:22 .42 mi homestretch uphill.

7/20 Wednesday

woke up late. Leela had problems sleeping, so she jumped in our bed, I went to her bed, and tried to sleep amidst an overflowing cornucopia of stuffed animals. Grrrr. Too late to swim once I got up, so I did some bodyweight single leg squats, some deadlifts, and some ab work. avoided the kettlebell :)

7/21 Thursday

Swim: 2x200, 1x300, 1x400,all free, 50 yds breastroke recovery between. Then 5x50 with gloves, then 5x100 free, 50 breast recovery between.

total: 2300 yards

Breakthrough day swimming. I decided to not start with the gloves, and immediately felt good. Swam leisurely aerobic sets, working up to 400 yards straight. Noticed some breathing issues towards the end, my throat was getting phlegmy. But no arm fatigue after warmup. The coolest sensation was the backs of my hands sliding up the water the driving forward as I rolled through.

I'm still slow as mud, but not super concerned. Comfort is key here. One day I (might) actually be able to be comfortable and go fast. There is no deadline with swimming, it's more about the sensations and the process.

7/22 Friday

4 miles easy running. Original plan was to swim and build on the kinesthetic breakthrough of yesterday, but I slept in. It was good to get out on the run and just roll through some miles. I concentrated on keeping my core 'on', and cadence. These days I have to do _something_ in order to guarantee a good night's sleep, so I mailed it in.

7/23 Saturday

got into the lake for about 1/2 mile swim. (a) it was fucking cold and (b) it was fucking choppy. tomorrow AM its going to be like glass -- today I was getting lifted and dumped by short, choppy swell . Great to get in and work the kinks out.
Kink #1: pull up legs and arms on wetsuit. I need more movement around the shoulders.
Kink #2: be generous with spit in the goggles. They fogged up bad, and I couldn't see where I was going.
Kink #3: need to re-sight every 10 strokes if I'm not in a sea of bodies.
Kink #4: the wetsuit is so floaty I'm not even using my legs to drive my hips ,which means I'm shoulder swimming a lot more.
Kink #5: I'm going to have to really make an effort to start kicking in the last 200 meters to wake the legs up.

OK, race tomorrow. I'm heavier than I wanted to be, and not quite strong. However, I am what I am, and this is what I've got to do. So it'll be an adventure, hopefully a fun one!

No comments: