Sunday, July 31, 2011

Training Summary 7/25 - 8/1

The biggest lesson coming out of the first tri of the season is that I need stronger legs. Stronger legs = pushing bigger gears and going faster on the bike, and crushing hills on the run. I definitely did not feel super strong on the bike or the run, and I'd like to change that.

This week has been all about quality. I had built the week to a bloody crescendo this AM, because we were going to go camping for Saturday and Sunday, but we got aced out of all of the sites in Washington State. On a Friday. Does anyone work a schedule anymore? Wait. Dont ask what I was doing hunting for a campground on Friday afternoon. The truth is I've been busting my balls at work, and I'm going to Orlando next week to swelter with a bunch of Enterprise Software Architects, so I figured a day away from the office (after delivering everything I needed to this week) -- while being available via email and phone -- was a good mental health break.

Monday

Swimming.
this was more of a chillout after the big race yesterday. I think I got around 2000 yards in, but not sure. I just kept moving, 150 free + 50 breast, stretching and focusing on form.

Tuesday

Running, 7 miles, intervals:
1x5 minute
1x10 minute
last mile hard.

More details when I download the data. But this was representative of the new regime. Fucking Hard Intervals. After a 2 mile warmup. Tried to keep it at 165 hr, ended up averaging closer to 159, but that also includes my HR spinning up after noodling @ 120 during the 'off' periods. I think the right thing to do would be to do 1 5 minute, and 1 10 minute, but track the first 5 and last 5 separately to get a true indication of effort during the last 5.

The last mile hard was just that. The Hill of Death was....deadly. But the only way I'm going to run faster is to run faster. Yogi Fucking Berra.

Wednesday

Insomnia. Strikes Again. Welll, I had scheduled an easy 4 miler + weights, but skipped to the weights directly. And got jiggy with it. Did TRX single legs with 60 extra lbs in dumbells, did deadlifts, did kettlebells, and did a new thing where I squat down low and pick up the kettlebell with one hand.

This all amounted to a good effort. I like what's going on wrt weights.

Thursday

Swimming: ~ 2000 yards
My ass feels like it's been flayed. Those squats just tore me up good. This will end well, provided I keep consistent about it. But I was very happy to be in the pool.

2000 yards swimming
2x200 with 50 breaststroke breaks = 300.
2x400 with 50 breastroke breaks = 900.
5x100 with 50 breastroke breaks = 750
a 150 warmdown.

Starting to like the longer, mellow intervals. But also threw in some 100s at 'pace', whatever that means (I dont check time. That would be depressing. Although...maybe I should check time)

Friday

riding, 25 miles, with weights.
2 loops MI, with a key difference: I focused on pushing hard for specific durations, and 'chilled' in between. Hard was hard, much more effort than my usual, and faster too. easy was easy, and I kept HR low. Ran into Bill Walker in the last 3 miles, so chilled it and rolled in w/him on his way to work.

Saturday

swimming, 2000 yds
2x500 w/50 br. between = 1100
5x100 IM w/50 br between = 750
250 warmdown.

First IM intervals in....25 years? Wow. Those hurt. But they're good. I'm going to repeat as my interval set. They keep me fresh, and allow me to push hard.

Sunday

9 mile run, computer died. Felt hard, I concentrated on cadence/turnover and not much else. Needed the 'run naked' break to just focus on body sensations and not digital feedback. Great day to run, AM was misting rain, but warm.

Monday

weights. Originally planned a 4 mile easy run, but had insomnia the night before and a meeting early this am.

1x15 single leg squat warmup, no weights
1x20 dumbell squat, 60 lbs

1x10 (5 ea. arm) kettlebell single arm squat, 35lbs
1x10 single leg squat, 30 lbs
1x15 dumbell good morning, 60 lbs
1x10 kettlebell single arm squat
1x30 kettlebell swings
1x20 TRX Atomic Pushups
1x15 TRX V-Up
1x10 TRX side planks with arm switches
1x10 single leg squat, 60 lbs
1x15 pullups
1x10 kettlebell single arm squat
1x30 kettlebell swings
1x12 pullups
1x10 TRX Atomic Pushups
1x15 TRX V-Up

No comments: