Monday, August 29, 2011

8/22 - 8/27 last week before Lake Meridian Tri

Continuing the general theme of "I'm cooked" into this next week. Actually, I'm not as cooked as I was last week. But I am definitely not sticking to any kind of plan.

At practice they drilled us, which I was not expecting. While it was fun to run around with a soccer ball, it has definitely been a while, and I'm rusty. Also, I forgot soccer is a contact sport. I was going for the ball with this guy and he knocked into me and my foot came down funny. So now I have a slightly sprained ankle. Whoops.


Mon

Swim: did a progressive ladder, 50-400 yds, increasing by 50 each time, with a 50 breast break. I think that was 2300 yards total. Felt good to just move for a while. Might do the same one more time before the race. It's not like I'm going to get faster doing intervals!

Tues

bad night sleep (hot inside). I stayed home and lifted weights. Emphasis on core and legs.

Tues night I went to the Mercer Island Youth Soccer Club coaches clinic, which was really, really good. They had some amazing coaches dispensing some great drills, and basic guidelines. Afterwards we went out for beers at the Roanoke, which is a great place to unwind on a warm summer night. They drilled us pretty good. I wasn't expecting to run around with the ball, but boy do I miss soccer!

Wed

This morning (Wed) I got up and felt like I had gotten run over by a truck. It's amazing how much soccer is starting to resemble a rough night of drinking -- really fun at the time, but I pay for it the next morning. I got out on a run anyways. Started out slow, picked it up a little, decided to go hard on the steep uphill section, and wrapped it up with a good final effort up 'puke-alicious hill'. 6 miles total, I think the avg was 8:45 or so, which is OK considering the middle hill section, and that I took it easy on the first downhill, and that I felt like hell for the first 3 miles.

Thurs

day off

Fri

swam 1300 yards, 500 warmup, 800 of 100 free with 50 breast

Sat

14 mile bike ride, spinning the legs, which feel tired.

No comments: