Monday, August 15, 2011

Training Summary 8/8 - 8/14

1 week into the new weight augmented regime and I'm a tired duck. Allergies are acting up, leaving a well of concentrated phleghm in the pit of my throat. Sleep is hard to come by, Lopa is only comfortable in 80+ degrees, so I'm banishing myself down to the storage room. And body parts are acting up. My right SI joint feels 50 years old.

Monday

Swimming
2x500 free
10x50 fistglove love action
4x100 IM

Holy FuckingShit those IMs are killing me, not softly or slowly. By the time I'm doing the backstroke I'm hyperventilating. I'm breathing so hard I can't even do a pullout for the 25 breast. Still....it feels good to go hard like that. The 500 frees are getting easier, mentally and physically. I'm hallucinating that I'm actually gripping the water. It's a strange, elusive, addictive feeling. I think I look like I'm on ludes when I'm swimming, my stoke rate (other than at IM time) is snore inducing.

Tuesday

5.8 miles, 14x30x30s. Planned on riding but rolled out of bed toodamnlate. Did the 14x30x30s, hit around 6-6:30/mile, all around threshold HR.

Then weights: the usual kickass grinder, no longer kicking my ass. So I think I've got to up the intensity.

Wednesday

9 miles, 8:47/mi, including a walking section. Did a 7:07 after a good buildup, then held 7:26 for the next .66 mile (until trail). Felt generally strong

Thursday

slept in, did some abs exercises, called it a day off. In the evening I got a chance to put on the wetsuit and swim off of Proctor's landing w/Michele and Suz, who were getting ready for their Danskin tri. It was great to get back in the lake, the water was crisp, but I was hot by the end of the swim. As usual in a wet suit, I had to really focus on rolling from side to side, and relaxing, and pulling along the side of my body (not down the middle where I cross over).

Friday

biked 22 miles relatively easy.

Man, I'm fried. I took off late for a 6AM ride, resolving to make it up by doing 3 hill intervals up Gallagher Hill. I took off up the first climb in the big ring, and felt weak, so kept pushing. At the top I felt queasy and weak. So I backed off. I hit the 10 mile mark and turned around.

Mentally I wasn't there. Its been a long week at work. Lots of stress, lots of unplanned shite. I was just not there. In my 20s I would have gutted through it, and dug myself deeper into the burnout cave. But I'm too old for that drama, so I backed off and decided to 'live to fight another day'.

I did try to push a bigger gear, just for the fuck of it. That ended up being muscularly challenging, not cardiovascular, which was fine. Then I lifted weights.

I need to push it harder on the weights. The first few times my legs were completely fried, now the same sets don't even make me sore the next day. The problem is that I can't load up too much on the single leg squats. I need to go into those with 20 extra lbs. Anything to shred the glutes and quads.

Saturday

swam 1800 yds
Still mentally not quite with it. Again, I'm backing off -- this is a hobby, not a profession, and definitely not the barometer by which I judge myself. So I floated a little bit through this workout:

500 free
500 free
3x100 free on 1:30 w/50 breast rest
2x100 IM no time w/50 breast rest
100 warmdown.

Sunday:
Sat and Sun were spent camping, aka sleeping on the beach interrupted by several games of catch w/Kiran. He even gave me pointers on my spiral ("watch your follow through, dad!") which was awesome because (a) it worked and (b) it shows he's becoming analytical. On Sunday I took him for a little jog on the beach, he got a little winded, but wanted to do more. I think I'm going to start him running just a little bit, like a mile at a time, to get the feeling of moving for a while. His swimming is also coming along well, He may well be ocean ready the next time we are in Hawaii (gentle waves, total supervision, of course!) This is a fun phase for me, he likes spending time with me and we get along well. I'm lapping it up. I know what happens when they become teenagers!

Leela is zooming around on her little bike, not so much into swimming or anything that requires physical exertion. Which is too bad, she's definitely the more athletic of the two. Kind of reminds me of myself and Mira. Mira had way more talent but would rather be doing other things.

No comments: