Sunday, May 23, 2010

TD: 5/10 - 5/23

ooh, I've been a bit remiss in my diary entries.

Workout summary:

5/12: speedwork: 6.54 mi total, 4 x 400.
5/14: swimming, concentrated on bilateral breathing
5/16: bay to breakers, I jogged this with Lopa: 7.5 mi
5/18: weights/trx
5/20: swimming, more w/bilateral breathing and form
5/21: speedwork: 7.57 mi: 1x800, 2x400, 4x200
5/22: biked the MI loop. Felt stale after speedwork, finished in 1:28 (PR = 1:22)

my diet: I haven't been tracking, and it's reverted to the usual (not great, not terrible ;). I'll try to do a better job of tracking.

Today: I might run, before I change my mind and go back to bed, but I'm pretty wrecked. After the bike ride, I moved 5 cubic yards of mulch into the backyard, which involved loading a wheelbarrow up with 100 lbs of mulch, then taking it down the stairs. I'm surprised I'm not more wrecked, must be the advil.

Thoughts on speedwork: this article pretty much sums it up. Its a pain game. Running fast trains your brain to deal with very painful situations, trains your body to maintain form in those painful situations, and in general, 'normal' pace is revealed to be the jog that it really is. After running 800s,  400s, 200s  around the track, the run home almost feels like walking.

No comments: