Sunday, November 14, 2010

Training Summary 11/08 - 11/14

This week I may (or may not) stick to the 5k training plan, depending on whether (or not) I can get out on the bike. Because it would be really nice to get in a longish bike ride while the weather is still holding.

Monday

Swimming

  • 2050 yards total
  • 450 warmup, free and breast, easy.
  • 4x300 free w/50 breast recovery
  • 200 warmdown, free and breast, catchup stroke on free.
300 free is long enough so that around the 4th or 5th 50 I spend at least a length trying to remember what 50 I'm on. Now I know why they used to hang lap counter signs underwater when the 500 free was swum in high school. Sheesh! On a good note, 300 free is getting easier. I might (depending on how I feel on Thurs) step it up to 350. My eventual goal is 3x500, at that point I  know I've got some economy of form, and can then start building in speed via 25s, 50s, 100s. 

I saw a video of Michael Phelps swimming freestyle, and I really dug how he dolphin kicked the first half of the first length of the pool (it's hard to tell, but I'm assuming thats 25 meters of a 50 meter pool). So I tried the same today, and hey! It was really fun! He also pushed off really deep after his flip turn. I couldn't do that in the 3 foot section, and didn't have the lungs for it by the time I got back to the 12 foot section, but that is something to aspire to :) 

Also, I'm not so sure about swimming after 7. The water aerobics ladies are in da house, and this time, I was in the lane right next to them. One of them was wearing this perfume that was making me gag in the shallow end. That, combined with the increased temps (lets face it, doing water aerobics in a lap pool would be cold), was really messing with me. I did manage to switch lanes to avoid the aroma, and that seemed to help.


Tuesday

Running: 4 miles, 8:30/mi pace, in the rain.
TRX lower body exercises (split squats, single leg forward and tuck behind squats, 2 sets each)

It was rainy and cold, and I bagged a serious run, lifting weights instead. Had a rough night of sleep due to job negotiation stress, and all in all I wasn't feeling too groovy. 

Wednesday

Swimming
  • 250 warmup
  • 2x150
  • 2x300
  • 200 warmdown

1350 yds total

Still stressed by job negotiations, I have no idea how consultants do this regularly. It makes me want to hurl. In any case, not feeling super aggro today, just lolled around in the water, concentrating on form over speed, as usual. Still, getting good and comfy in the water. 

Biking: 20 miles around island, 19 mph avg. 

Got out this afternoon after locking down the final offer, needed to vent some energy. About 4 miles in my new boss called, and we talked about the position (very cool job, I'm a lucky guy!) for a while, which ate into the remaining sunlight. So I rolled it home after 10 out. But the conversation was worth it, and I'm frankly totally fucking thrashed from stress, so 20 miles felt completely OK.


Thursday

Swimming
  • 450 warmup
  • 4x300 free
  • 350 warmdown
2000 yards total

Felt great, considering this is the 2nd day in a row for swimming. 300s feel natural, may be time to push to 350 next week. Concentrating on high elbows through the pull, and really pushing hard on the last part of the stroke.


Friday

TRX
Not super excited to run after a late night out with Dave, Tom, Jim. So I lifted instead:

  • atomic pushups
  • 2x single leg split squats
  • 2x single leg forward
  • 2x single leg tuck behind
  • 1x20, 1x30 squats with 65 lbs total  dumbells
  • 2x10 good mornings
  • 1x20 TRX shoulder Ys.
  • 1x20 TRX single arm presses


Saturday

Ran 3 miles easy. Sore throat + Kiran's last (early) game + waking up late = short, easy run. 

Sunday

Running: 6 mi, 12x30x30@ 7:00-7:30 pace. It was raining slightly but warm outside, dense fog. Perfect running weather! I ran out and back on W Mercer, the first 2 miles were warmup, 10:15/mi on the long grade heading south. Then I hit the 30x30s, seemed to lock in on a 7:00 pace, which is the lower range of what I was aiming for. They were over before I knew it, which means I need to either (a) go faster or (b) do more. Then I ran back in, ended up averaging about 9:30 on my warmdown. That includes the downhill that was the uphill on the warmup, so it actually was pretty slow. Picked it back up for the final hill -- there is no point in running that thing slow. 

No comments: