Sunday, November 21, 2010

Training Summary 11/15 - 11/21

OK. Job is in the bag, pending security check, which I'm pretty confident about, given that my employment history and education are what they are, as unimpressive as they might be (no one would fabricate my employment history or education to try to look better, that's for sure :) This leaves 2 weeks to contemplate...things. I've got some stuff I want to get done around the house, as well as some stuff (re:my personal pet project) that  I want to code up prior to starting a new job. And, of course, I've got time to train.  I've just got to keep it 'rubber side down' for the rest of my unemployment. Sheesh, I've (a) totaled the car, (b) lost Lopa's license, (c) gotten a parking ticket so far. Unemployment = trouble!


The weather has gone into total November mode, meaning it's cold and raining a lot. Biking doesn't look very likely over this next week. Running in rain, mist, wind, and cold isn't entirely excitement inducing. My body is starting to feel the damp/cold. My left hip aches for the first mile or so, and my right knee is twingy. Also, my lats are really sore for some reason I don't think it's the swimming, but that's about the only thing I think that could have brought it on, b/c I haven't been doing pullups lately. Maybe the last TRX upper body session, but that wasn't terribly hard.

So, with running/swimming being the only options, I'm going to get out and do them, but also not be an idiot about it. If it is raining outside, I might choose to do an indoor TRX resistance session instead.

Since getting laid off, I have dropped about 5 lbs. I think this has to do with the fact that I'm not sitting on my ass or eating free treats as much as I did when I was pulling a paycheck. The extra time to train has got to be kicking in as well.

Monday

Swimming.
Lats were SORE. No idea why. I warmed them up, then swam some 150 free+50 breast. Basically took it easy. Even with sore lats, I'm having these moments of pure feeling. I really felt the water today, my catch and pull were better than they've ever been. I'm noticing that I'm getting faster relative to the same people that used to clean my clock. This is a good sign.
  • 400 warmup
  • 3x150 free
  • 1x200 free
  • 1x150 free
  • 150 warmdown
1250 yds total. 

Tuesday

Running + Resistance
Did 4 miles in the AM, was meant to be easy, but I realized  I was running late at about 3.5 miles, so my warmdown was more of a sprint uphill.

TRX + weights:
  • 2x15 single leg split squats
  • 2x10 single leg forward squats
  • 2x10 single leg tuck behind squats
  • 1x20, 1x30 dumbell squats with 65 lbs.
  • 2x10 deadlifts with 65 lbs.

Wednesday

Running  ~ 5 mi speedwork
  • 1.5 mi warmup
  • 6x400 @ < 6:30/mi pace w/3 minute rest (jogging) intervals
  • .5 mi warmdown
Lack of recent speedwork really showed -- the first 400 felt like crap. Yesterdays resistance exercises as well as the wind/rain (not driving, more slightly sideways) combined to make me feel like 6x400, instead of the original 8x400, was a good idea.

The last 4 or so I came in around 5:45/mi pace. This was my 'go out pretty quick and try to hold it together, but don't kill it' pace. Basically that last 100 felt uncomfortable, i.e. lungs + legs burning, but when I would think "this isn't so bad, I could easily keep this pace up for another 1.5 laps", the discomfort faded, or at least became more bearable.

I find it ironic that when I was capable of running fast, my head was telling me I couldnt. Now that I really cant, my head seems to be telling me that I can. Of course, this may just be because I'm not pushing it as hard as I used to, so the thoughts that I'm having are relatively positive because the pain level I'm experiencing is relatively low. Still, I do feel like I tend to have a more positive point of view on things.

Intervals -- I always love them afterwards. Running fast, as painful is it can be, makes running slower so much easier. Not sure how I'm going to maintain these track workouts once I go back to work. But I think that this is a great time to work on speed, and pretty soon I need to actually start training up for the March Mercer Island 1/2 marathon.

Thursday

Swimming:

  • 250 warmup
  • 4x150 with FistGloves
  • 2x300
  • 200 warmdown

1650 total

Couple of things:

  1. Shoulder soreness gone. Must have been something I did over the weekend. 
  2. I'm noticing that I'm getting a lot out of the 'push' section of the stroke. This became apparent when using the FistGloves on the 150s. Even with my hands all fisted up, there was a lot of water to push. 
  3. Bringing the FistGloves back was A Good Thing. I had gotten kind of fried on them a couple of months ago, but that was before tuning my stroke, esp. the pull, and getting my bilateral breathing down. Now the FGs are really forcing me to stay level, and 150 yards with them is no problem. Considering I could barely get 25 yards in them when I started, this is improvement!
  4. I need to step up. I think that 2000 yards is a good goal per workout. 2000 yards is something a real swimmer would sneer at, but for me, a slow/non swimmer, 2000 yards would push my form and endurance limits right now. That means I need to allocate an hour to swimming. Which is possible if I get my ass out of bed early enough. 
Friday

Running 

  • 2 mi warmup
  • 14x30x30 @ 6:46 - 7:15 pace (depending on hill)
  • 1.5 mi warmdown
5.67 mi total.

I think 30x30s are hard, when I do enough of them. 14 is getting there, I was tired for the last 4. But they were, again, over before I knew it. I think a combo of upping the pace to 1k (i.e. < 6:45) and increasing the reps will take this from 'hard' to 'really fucking hard'. 

Saturday

Running 4 miles easy
Was supposed to be a swim day, but there was a swim meet going on when I showed up. So I bundled up and ran 4 miles, really had to focus on keeping it slow at base pace. I ran into Dave, a friend I had met while walking Shadow, he has 2 bichon frises (spelling?). Normally I don't like little dogs, but between the fact that Dave is a really nice guy and the dogs think they're actually big dogs (i.e. no little dog complex), I've come around to liking those specific dogs. 


TRX Resistance exercises
The usual:

2x30 squat 2/65lbs total
1x10 deadlift (skipped 2nd set, back was feeling twingy)
1x15 split squat
2x10 single leg front squat
2x10 single leg tuck behind squat
1x12 split squat with 20lbs total.


Sunday

Running
8.75
8:48 avg.
2 mi warmup @ 9:30
2 mi tempo @ 7:45-8:15
steep uphill section @ really f*cking slow
3 mi tempo @7:45- 8:15

7:45-8:00 feels pretty good right now, but my HR is in the 156-160 range at that effort. The terrain was fairly rolling as well, so that always makes it a little harder.

No comments: