Sunday, March 27, 2011

Training Summary 3/21 -3/27

Another week -- these are going by fast. While, according to Kiran's allergies, it's spring, the temperature refuses to cooperate. Its still damn cold, and I'm getting more and more sensitive to it. Body parts are achey and stiff. Especially after the weekend 9 miler run on Sat + Snowboarding + 26 mile ride on Sun. Finally got my standup desk @ work today, my back feels much happier. Now I just need a stool to sit on when my weak legs tire out after 8+ hours of standing.

work continues to be full f*cking on. I've got to put together a Hadoop class, ramp up a new dev, participate in 2 tech evals, and move the product roadmap forward. Jesus Christ. Spent the last hour wondering what the fuck was going on with my report generating mods to YCSB, only to realize I was closing the stdout stream. Duh.

Monday

woke up late after reading an old mid 80s 'Batman Returns' comic that Kiran lent me. Is it sad when you and your nine year old read the same books? On the other hand, he's no ordinary nine year old. We're also reading Huck Finn, and he loves it. He laughs and laughs and cant wait for the next chapter. It _is_ a great read. He is a smart kid. Just took his ITBS test to confirm that he belongs in e2, I hope he didn't fuck it up (I know I would have at his age :) Oh well, he's not doomed to flip burgers if he doesn't get in. I'm living proof of that.

Contemplated running, then stopped that bullshit. Grabbed some coffee, then downstairs for an upper body specific TRX funfest. Including 2x12 pullups, 1x35 atomic pushups, 2x10 single leg supported pushups, 2x10 supermans, and I cant' remember what else. All I know is that it was hard to walk up the stairs afterward, and I didn't do anything to my legs. wrt atomic pushups -- I think I've got to hit 40 just to say I did it. I think I could have done it today, but was just freaking lazy after hitting 35.

Tomorrow I'm considering a 4-5 miler followed by weights. I think a fast 4 + kettlebell + lunge squats would just about kick my ass all the way back into the stone age. Of course, this sounds groovy @ 10pm, just prior to going to bed. Much less exciting @ 5AM when getting out of bed.

Tuesday

did a hard 4 miles, followed by weights. I think I'm getting up and over the kettlebell strength curve, at least for 45 lbs. Might be time to stack more weights on.

Wednesday

Upper body TRX. Did 40 Atomic pushups today -- a first!

Thursday

spent the time I should have been running responding to an asshat email. Hate it when work dominates, but it has been lately, I've been going wall to wall between evaluating new tech, putting together a Hadoop class, and playing reindeer games like the one this morning. Got in a 3 miler, first mile medium, last two hard.

Friday

took the day off.

Saturday

4 miles hard, followed by leg splits and kettlebells. Today I took Leela up skiing. She lasted about 2 hours, it was fun to ski with her, she's come a long way in a season, from barely moving along to flying on the greens with a big smile on her face. Shes so cute, the way she turns, she holds her body just like Lopa does when she's turning, kind of curled over. It was a good day to spend with her.

Sunday

Took Kiran up to Summit East, my first time there since the 'remodel'. We had a blast, there are some easy and not so easy black diamond runs that he attacked with gusto. I cant believe that he's going down black diamonds. And now, when we race, I have to go forward and not switch stance, otherwise he just dusts me. He ended up getting into e2, which is great, because he needs to get pushed, just like I did.

That place rocks. I'm there the next powder day. It has the best tree runs, the trees are spaced just right. The slope could be a little steeper, but I'm getting older and it really doesn't matter now :)

He's a way better skiier at nine than I was. I wonder how far he's going to take it?

After skiing I did a quick upper body workout. Did atomic pushups with yoga blocks to get lower in the pushup. Those hurt. Then did 15 pullups, in between a set of talon single arm pulls. Also did a bunch of supermans and flys. Well, at least I _felt_ buff :)

No comments: